Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Taggy Blanket {tutorial}

A friend came to my house awhile ago, and her baby had the cutest little taggy blanket.  I loved the small, square size and decided my little Reese needed one of her own.  So, I dug out some fabric and ribbon scraps, found a little time (30-45 min-but you could probably do it faster!), and this is what I ended up with:
 And here's how to do it:
 1-- Cut your fabric.  You could easily just use one solid fabric per side, but I wanted to use up scraps, so I made mine quilt-style.  My brown square started out about 8 1/2".  My small squares started 4 1/2".

2--Sew your small squares together.  I used a 1/4" seam. (Ignore this step if using single piece of fabric).
 3--Cut ribbon, lace, or ric-rac (about 2"-4" each).   I used 16 total-4 per side of the square, but this totally depends on you.

4--Pin the ribbon onto the right side of the fabric (either the front or back).  The ribbon needs to be pointed in toward the center of the square.
 5--Sew the ribbon in place by sewing a 1/4" seam around the square of fabric.
6--Now take both squares of fabric.  Pin right sides together.  Sew around with a 1/4" seam.  Leave about a 3" section so you can turn right side out.
**Sorry, I didn't take pictures of these steps.

7--Turn right side out.

8--Sew a topstitch all around.  This makes a nice finish, plus it closes up the hole you used to flip the fabric.

Ta-da.  You're done.  Easy, easy, and your baby will LOVE it!

2 comments:

  1. this is gorgeous!!

    would love it if you could share this on my link party - Serenity Saturday at www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete