Monday, June 27, 2011

The Cake

The ANGRY BIRD CAKE:  Now, I must admit, the inspiration came from here. And, that dad is nicer and more fun than me.  I was not about to let a bunch of 5 years shooting the cake pieces with a sling-shot.  Sorry.  I think all the kids at the party still liked the cake.

So here is my tutorial:

Homemade Marshmallows:  I used the recipe found here.  I had never made them before, and they were SO, SO, SO sticky.  But they worked perfectly for what I had in mind.  I wanted some of them to have the dirt-look, so I for those I added a little cocoa to the powdered sugar mixture that you roll in after cutting them.  Oh, and they tasted pretty good, too! **Also, I don't have a stand-mixer.  I was a little worried about my hand mixer engine going bad, but it worked okay.
Nutty Bars: Pretty self-explanatory.  I did use a few long skewers to place them down into the cake.
Tower Base & Triangles: I baked a cake (according to the cake mix), but baked them in 2 loaf pans.  After they were baked and cooled for 10 minutes, I took them out of the pans.  When they were completely cooled, I cut one in half.  Then I cut the other half into 2 triangles.  I wrapped the individual pieces in plastic wrap and stuck them in the freezer over night.  Then I took them out just as I was ready to decorate the cake.
I made a simple butter cream frosting and colored it green for the grass base.  Then I used a chocolate frosting to cover the cake.  Nothing fancy.  I would suggest making the cake balls first however before doing the cake.
Cake Balls: I used this tutorial.  I just used a cake mix.  They were pretty easy to make the balls.  The decorating took a little more time.  I made them the night before, and kept them in the fridge.
Rolling the cake balls: For the red birds and green pigs I used candy melts and for the black birds I used chocolate chips.  The candy melts worked the best.  I used a skewer to dip them, and then just placed them on wax paper to dry before adding the face.  When I added the little face pieces, I used a skewer, dipped it in the melted candy and used it as a "glue" to adhere all the pieces.
The eyes: I used white chocolate chips.  I did cut off the pointed edges.
The beaks: These were those little yellow mints that look like chocolate chips.  I cut them into triangular-ish shapes.
Eyebrows: I took a single Tootsie Roll and rolled it out thin.  Then I cut little strips and folded them into a "V."
Feathers on Top: Simply cut little pieces of licorice rope.  You do need to hold them in place for a second while the chocolate dries so they will stay standing upright.
Pig Snout & Ears: I just used the green mints.  I cut them in half for the ears.

Okay, it looks like a lot, but it really wasn't bad.  Actually I had a lot of fun making it.  I think I was more excited for the party then Cole was.
Yum, Yum!

1 comment:

  1. That is too cool. Did you know they make icing pens for drawing on food? Bakerella uses them on cake pops. They would probably be great for making little eyes and stuff. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete