Monday, April 18, 2011

Sundried Tomato Tortillas

Okay, so this is one of my favorite healthy recipes.  Actually, I like to always have some of these on hand because they are DELICIOUS, HEALTHY, and VERSATILE.  They do take a few minutes to make (about an hour for a batch), but they are well worth the time!

Here is how I eat them:
Turkey or ham Wraps
Burritos
Tostadas
To dip in Hummus
With Cottage Cheese sprinkled with Salad Supreme
With melted cheese
and, Just Plain

Are you interested?  Ready to make your own?  Well, here is the recipe.

Blend together:
1 1/2 c. water (can also use coconut milk, but I don't find there is a taste difference, so I stick to water)
1/3 c. (give or take) Sundried tomatoes 
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 to 2 Tbsp. dried onions
1 tsp. salt
**As a note, you can also use different seasonings of choice.  I have substituted the tomatoes for dried veggie seasonings, so play around a little and find how you like it.  But my favorite is the listed recipe.
Then add:
4 c. wheat flour (I like to use red wheat for this recipe)  I am sure you could also use white flour if wheat is not your thing--but try the wheat.  They really are good!

Sometimes I find that I need to add a little more water to get flour mixed in.  Knead a few times to get the  flour incorporated--but they don't really need to be kneaded much (not like bread).
At this point, I preheat my oven to 350.
Now, using more flour because the dough is pretty sticky, squeeze the dough to form little balls (about 1 1/2").  Remember, use extra flour! I typically get 35-40 little dough balls.
Now, start rolling them out.  Once again, use more flour.  I like to roll each ball in a little flour, and then roll them out on a floured surface.  Roll them flat.  As I am rolling them out, I usually flip them over and roll both sides.  I am not sure why, but I find it easier to do it that way.  
Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.  I fit 5 on each cookie sheet.  Then I bake 2 cookie sheets at a time. It's okay if they overlap a little bit or fold up on the sides.
Bake the two cookie sheets on different racks for 2 min. 45 sec.  Take them out.  Flip the tortillas.  Switch racks, and then bake for another 2 min. 45 sec.  While they are baking, work on rolling out more tortillas!
Once they are done, take them off the pans.  Stack them on a clean towel.  Don't wait until they are cooled.  Stack them while they are hot.  This makes them so they will roll and bend without cracking.  When you are completely finished, cover the stacks with the towel.  Once they are completely cooled, store them in a plastic bag in your fridge (just to make them last longer).  

Delicious.  And, they really aren't that complicated.  So try them.  You'll be glad you did!

**Oh, and just as a note, sundried tomatoes are cheapest at Costco.  You can get a big jar for around $8.  I usually can't use up a jar before they go bag, so I divide the jar into freezer bags and freeze them (just leaving one bag in my fridge).

3 comments:

  1. Do these freeze well after you've cooked them?

    1st time visit to your blog, came over from the creative crate. I like this tutorial so Im sure I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do freeze well. They also last up to about a month in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this tutorial. I totally love sundried tomato things. I found you on sisterstuff and am a new follower.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete